Benjamin Fontaine - Chair of the Geographical Indications Committee of the European Communities Trade Mark Association (ECTA)
Benjamin Fontaine (born in France, 1975) is a registered Intellectual Property attorney since 2003 (CNCPI, France) and a solicitor admitted to the Alicante Bar (Spain) since 2005.
He holds law degrees from the University of Orléans (France) and from the University of Alicante, as well as a Master in Intellectual Property (Magister Lvcentinvs, Alicante).
Benjamin Fontaine joined E.G.Y.P in 1999 and is a partner of the firm since 2014. He is in charge of the Alicante (ES) branch Office. Mr Fontaine has extensive experience in trademark prosecution and litigation, particularly in France and with the EUIPO. He advises French and foreign clients in various industries – such as cosmetics, foodstuff and wine – on IP prosecution, brand protection and enforcement matters. His field of practice also extends to industrial design, unfair competition, copyright law and domain name litigation.
Mr Fontaine has a specific expertise in the field of Geographical Indications and related quality signs, and in particular concerning their interaction with trademarks. He is the author of various articles on this topic, as well as a book entitled “Geographical Indications and the Community Trade Mark System”. Benjamin Fontaine is currently the chair of the Geographical Indications Committee of the European Communities Trade Mark Association (ECTA). He is a frequent speaker in conferences organized by several institutions and universities.
Latest publications :
- L’indisponibilité resultant d’un conflit avec une indication géographique, in Revue Europe no. 11 – Nov. 2016 (LexisNexis) ;
- The present and future of the interaction between trade marks and geographical indications in Community law, in Era Forum, June 2014;
- Traditional terms for wine and Traditional Specialities guaranteed as absolute grounds for refusal, Webinar organized by the European Union Intellectual Property Office, Alicante (ES), January 2017;
- The enforcement of trade marks identifying geographical indications, ERA Conference on geographical indications, Trier (DE), April 2016;
- The remarkable odyssey of a wine brand at the EUIPO, EUTM intensive Module, Alicante (ES), February 2016.